You are here
ESSCB Statement Regarding the Conduct of Human Embryonic Stem Cell (hESC) Research Involving Chimeras
On November 14, 2011, the ESSCB Funding Committee voted to adopt a Statement Regarding the Conduct of Human Embryonic Stem Cell (hESC) Research Involving Chimeras, which was developed and...
New Model Informed Consent Forms
ESSCB Model Informed Consent Forms On November 14, 2011, the ESSCB Funding Committee approved five model informed consent forms developed by the ESSCB Ethics Committee. The forms provide guidance...
A Protocol for Production of Neurons to Study Mental Illnesses
- A new method from Jian Feng’s lab details conversion of fibroblasts to serotonergic neurons
New Research Indicates Path to Cell-Based Therapy for Liver Diseases
- Drs. Namita and Jayanta Roy-Chowdhury demonstrated transplantation of hepatocyte-like cells differentiated from human iPS cells can reduce the effects of liver disease.
Modeling Bone Cancer with Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells
- Drs. Dung-Fang Lee and Ihor Lemischka at The Black Family Stem Cell Institute in Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai recently reported in the journal Cell that they have successfully established induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) from a rare genetic disease Li-Fraumeni syndrome (LFS) family and investigated the role of mutant p53, commonly known as the tumor suppressor, in the development of osteosarcoma.
Stem Cell-Based Therapy for Radiation’s Side Effects on Brain Function
- A recent paper from Viviane Tabar’s lab demonstrates the healing powers of hESC-derived oligodendrocyte progenitor cells in restoring brain function following radiation.
Governor Cuomo Announces $36 Million to Accelerate Development of Stem Cell-Based Disease Cures
- Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced $36 million has been awarded to three research groups for the development of treatments for some of the most devastating conditions that could be helped with stem cell research.
Stem Cells Model Pediatric Brain Tumors
- A new report from the lab of Viviane Tabar describes the ability to model a rare type of pediatric brain tumor for the first time using human embryonic stem cell-based techniques.
Governor Cuomo Announces More than $14 Million to Recruit and Educate the Next Generation of Stem Cell Science Researchers
- Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on August 6 announced that more than $14 million in funding is available to promote and support stem cell research in New York State. Stem cell science is widely viewed by experts as the key to understanding and treating many of the most devastating conditions affecting New Yorkers and people worldwide. The official press release can be found at http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/08062014-stem-cell-researchers
A Vascular Niche Allows Reprogramming and Expansion of Engraftable Human Hematopoietic Cells
- New research from the lab of Shahin Rafii identified a vascular niche that allows reprogramming and expansion of human hematopoietic progenitor cells capable of serial engraftment into mice.
CHK2 Involved in DNA Damage Response in Oocytes
- New research from John Schimenti’s lab at Cornell sheds light on cell responses to DNA damage